NFA / Class 3 Firearms

We carry a wide variety of silencers, short barreled rifles and accessories. Find out how you can legally purchase and own NFA / Class 3 items using our Q/A below. Our staff will be glad to guide you through the process.

As of 10/01/2017, approval times are averaging 12 months.

We now have a Silencershop Kiosk available in the store for fingerprinting, and a free app is available for Android and Apple smartphones for taking and uploading photo to your Silencershop account.  For more information, visit the Silencershop website.


When you are ready to setup your trust, use the lawyer we trust:

The National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA) placed taxation and registration requirements on certain classes of firearms. These are referred to as Title II firearms. A dealer in these items pays a Class 3 tax stamp.
Silencers, machine guns, shotguns with barrels of less than 18″, and rifles with barrels of less than 16″. There’s an additional catch-all category for oddball items known as Any Other Weapons (AOW).
For most items, it’s $200. For AOW’s, it’s $5.
You don’t. It’s a one-time process.
It varies by item. Generally, you’ll need a Form 4 (BATFE 5320.4 Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm). We’ll complete part of the process, and we’ll walk you through the rest. Once it’s approved, you’ll get a stamp certifying that the tax was paid.
If it’s legal for you to own a regular firearm, it’s legal to own a Title II firearm. You just have to jump through some extra hoops.
No. That’s an urban legend. You surrender none of your rights by registering a Title II weapon. If anyone wants to search your house, they need to get a warrant.
Yes. That approach gives you more flexibility in granting possession to others, but you need to complete the BATFE (5320.23 NFA Responsible Person Questionnaire), passport photos and fingerprints for everyone included on the trust.  Your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) needs to be notified but doesn’t need to approve the purchase as of July 13, 2016.
We’re not lawyers, and this is something best left to the experts. We can get you in touch with an attorney who drafts them for a reasonable fee.
It varies. We’ve seen some come back in as little as three months, but some take over twelve months.
Yes. You can call the ATF directly at (304) 616-4500.  Have the serial number and trust name (if registered under a trust).
We don’t, either. It has to remain on the premises until the application is approved, but you’re welcome to shoot with it in the meantime.
Yes, as long as you’re physically present and the item does not leave your possession.
Unfortunately, you can’t. An amendment was tacked on to the Firearms Owners Protection Act in 1986 that banned the manufacture of civilian-transferable machine guns made after that date. If you want a machine gun, you have to get one made and registered prior to 1986.
Any weapon that fires more than one round per trigger pull is considered a machine gun, so they fall under the same law.
No. That would constitute manufacturing a machine gun without a license, and doing so carries significant criminal penalties.
Seriously–don’t mess with this stuff.
Some people are marketing an adapter that screws on the barrel threads, which then allows the user to attach an oil filter. They’re claiming that the adapter is the registered part. That is incorrect.

18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(24) defines a silencer as,

any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Each oil filter would need to be serialized and registered. Once the filter wears out (which won’t take long), the user would need to file another Form 1 and pay another $200 to comply with the law.

Contrary to the marketing claims being made, the adapter is not the registered part–the device that reduces the report is.

Federal law only states that it must be presented to an officer of the ATF by request. However, Georgia law has an annoying wrinkle. OCGA § 16-11-122 generally prohibits ownership of a Title II weapon unless the owner can prove the item was registered under the dictates of the NFA. To avoid potential hassle, it’s best to keep a copy of the stamp with the item.

Furthermore, the NFRTR (the ATF registry) is known to have errors, and ready access to the stamp may be necessary to confirm the legality of a weapon in your possession.

You’ll file a Form 1, which is an application to manufacture a Title II firearm. You can apply directly to the ATF for that. We’re not involved in that process, but we can advise you on it, or help you complete the paperwork for a $50 fee
Technically, both. The inventor was a bit of a huckster who called them “Maxim Silencers.” That was the term used for them when the NFA was signed into law, and it’s still the legal name for them.

In truth, they do reduce the report, but they do not silence it. Hollywood is a city built on lies.

It’s a closely-guarded trade secret involving salon-quality gun oil and the tears of Justin Bieber. Hey, you asked.